Descalç sobre la terra vermella is a TV miniseries based on the book of the same name by Francesc Escribano, with screenplay by María Jaén and Marcos Bernstein. It recounts the life of a Catalan bishop, Pere Casaldàliga – an emblematic figure in Catalonia, Spain and Latin America – and his tireless struggle on behalf of the poor and disadvantaged in the Mato Grosso region in Brazil.
The film combines action and mysticism in equal parts with stunning camerawork showing the landscape of the Mato Grosso as well as the shocking human and social backdrop to the action.
The miniseries has been awarded the following prizes:
- The Gaudí Prize for best TV film
- Best TV Movie and Best Script at the Seoul International Drama Awards 2014 (SDA)
- Gold Medal 2014 New York Festival International TV & Films Awards in the category of miniseries
- 2 Fipa awards (Festival International de Programmes Audiovisuels) in Biarritz, for best actor (Eduard Fernández) and best music (David Cervera).
- Best TV Film at the Festival Internacional Zoom Igualada and runner up in Best Miniseries at the Prix Europa Festival